Monday 19 March 2012

Ugh! Adele!

I don’t like Adele. Not as a person. I don’t know the woman or know enough about her to make that judgement. But as a recording artist, I absolutely hate her. Her music is what I like to call ‘music to slit your wrists to’. Harsh? Maybe, but come on – this woman does not know when to stop bleating on about her broken heart.
It was brought to my attention recently, that she’s successfully tapped into the vulnerability of women – and I whole-heartedly agree. This particular song frankly makes me want to perforate my ear-drums with a rusty nail. I. Can’t. Stand. It. Most of me hates it because I think it implies that women (or maybe just Adele, seeing as she’s the one singing it…?) spend lots of time thinking about ‘the one that got away’. We mostly don’t. Honest. (And if we did, we wouldn’t want ‘Someone Like You’ – we’d want you. And we wouldn’t be wishing you the best. We’d be wishing you a horrible time with the new woman – who would turn out to be the mad-psycho-bitch-from-hell, clearly). But…there is the tiniest part of me that hates it because it touches a nerve. (LJ thinks I’m kidding myself. She thinks I hate it solely because it touches a nerve…..Yeah LJ. Whatever!)
We were chatting in work the other day about exes and anyone who there’s been a ‘history’ with, and we agreed that we all get that catch in the throat when we run into, hear from or hear about an ex. (Admittedly, there were no men involved in that conversation though…) That sort of heart-stopping moment that catches you off guard. And it’s made even worse if you see them with another women, or hear about how blissfully happy they are with said woman – their latest girlfriend, partner, wife, whatever. It’s just kind of weird and sort of hard. I’m not sure that ever goes away but I guess after time, you just sort of stop thinking about it. The one thing it does leave you wondering though (or maybe it’s just me?) is; ‘Why wasn’t it me? Wasn’t I good enough?’
In my case though, I’m fortunate enough to have Husband No 2 in my life who has very generously told me (many, many times) precisely why it wasn’t me (and no, clearly I wasn’t good enough!). I’m still in the dark in a few cases though. And does it bother me? In my saner moments, no. When I’m feeling insecure, yes probably. But I don’t want to hear Adele whining on and on about it. So she’s had her heart broken? Haven’t we all?
I’m all for reliving the pain of a nasty break-up through music. After all we’ve all done it. But why Adele and her self-pitying nonsense? Why not The Buzzcocks? (A personal favourite) That’s nice and rant-y and angst-y, as well as being heart-breaking. Or even the current No 1 from Gotye? Even that’s more interesting.
Maybe I should be applauding the woman. She’s made a fortune by bemoaning her lost love – making the best of a bad situation I guess. However, you’ll never hear me mourning ‘the one that got away’ by singing along to Adele. Not ever. Nah….it The Buzzcocks for me everytime. After 3 everyone – all angst-y now;
‘Ever fallen in love with someone?
Ever fallen in love?
In love with someone
Ever fallen in love? (Love…)
In love with someone

You shouldn't have fallen in love with'

That's much more like it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment